This month’s challenge was a challenge in more ways than one. My biggest concern was whether I’d be able to make something feel romantic and appropriate for valentine’s since I don’t specifically decorate for valentine’s but I quickly learned my biggest issue was something else altogether!
The complete and utter lack of clearance items.
I didn’t think there was such a thing.
But there is.
It’s some kind of drought condition.
I think they should declare a state-wide emergency where I am.
Every store I went to that normally has whole clearance rows would have like a couple tiny items squashed together onto a corner of a shelf or end-cap and trust me they weren’t worth taking home.
I even started earlier than normal!
By several days!
I was so proud of myself! I was gonna brag a little. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t find anything.
Pride goes before destruction.
Let me remind you of the rules: We must find our item(s) on clearance and must spend no more than $15. We can then revamp the item as desired and style it in our homes, in a specific theme if chosen.
Did you think I was gonna say sorry folks, maybe next month….I failed?
Hobby Lobby to the rescue!
The girl at the checkout counter wanted to confirm that I realized it was on such a major clearance because of the broken foot. Her facial expression seemed to indicate she thought I was more than a little peculiar for being quite satisfied with this bit of news.
Wouldn’t be the first time and it won’t be the last!
Time to grab a screwdriver and remove the rest of the feet.
I could have left it at that and called it a day but…..you would’t be reading this on my blog then. That’s not how I operate.
I decided to dress it up a little so I bought some narrow wooden trim and cut it to fit around the top and bottom edges of the clock.
I used wood glue to attach the trim to the clock and then used color changing spackling to fill the cracks.
Here’s a closeup. The kids asked me if I was putting pink on it at this point to make it look pretty for Valentine’s Day! 🙂
After the spackling was dry (and white) I sanded it all really smooth.
Meanwhile I decided I wanted to put some little legs or feet back onto the clock but couldn’t find any I liked on such short notice so I ended up just using some little wooden cabinet knobs. I painted them white and let them dry. I also took out the screws attaching the handle to the top of the clock.
I took some Rub ‘N Buff in Antique Gold and applied it with my fingers rubbing it really well to let some of the dark show through. Then I let it dry before putting it back onto the top of the clock.
Once the knobs had dried I sanded them lightly and very slightly distressed them so they matched the overall look of the clock. Then I used wood glue to attach them to the bottom of the clock and let them dry for several hours.
Once the glue had dried on the trim and the feet and everything was sanded, I very lightly painted the trim with a fairly dry artists brush using white paint. I didn’t bother trying to get it into all the grooves because I wanted those to stand out.
Lastly I VERY LIGHTLY brushed Rub ‘N Buff in Antique Gold over the trim so that the edges of the trim and the details were highlighted.
So I paid less than $12 for the clock itself and I paid $3 for the piece of trim that I used which was more than I needed. All other materials I had on hand.
Now for styling the clock…..
I decided to put it in my dining room because I hadn’t put anything on my sideboard since I removed the winter decor several weeks ago. It really needed something!
I started gathering random items that I felt would work together for the romantic look I wanted.
I added a riser I got a little while ago from Hobby Lobby (in their garden section) to display my copper teapot. A few little terra cotta pots and mossy stones completed the vignette. Simple, fresh and hinting of spring.
On the opposite end I paired a thrifted frame, brass pitcher and lovely chippy sign with some florals.
I used some subtle pink and cream ribbon and lace to make a garland to drape as well.
The candles and candle rings mirror the same tones creating an overall romantic feel without overtly advertising any specific holiday or occasion.
The cashier can think I’m nuts as much as she likes. I’m quite happy with my broken clock!
And fixing broken clocks and being creative, making things around me beautiful one little thing at a time, IS my dream.
Now I can’t wait to go look at all the wonderful things my fellow bloggers got for this challenge!