Hi! I’m Tara, aka Stilettos and Shiplap. I am a stay-at-home mom of 5 beautiful kids, 3 dogs, and wife to a wonderful man – lovingly referred to as “the MR“ for the purpose of this blog. I am a trained Veterinary Technician and Medical Transcriptionist, but my true passion is for all things DIY and design so I went back and trained in Interior Design. I am obsessed with anything relating to the home and yard. It was my mom and aunt who truly started me down this path. They taught me all the basics of sewing, cooking, gardening and various crafts. To me it’s play. I don’t always follow every design rule – I follow my heart!
Here are some random facts about me:
- Yes, I do wear stilettos. Not typically while installing shiplap but I wouldn’t put it past me to try sometime.
- Yes, I do actually like and use shiplap, in moderation.
- I do actually have 5 kids. They are #1 girl, #2 boy, #3 girl, #4 boy and #5 boy. Three are in school and two of them are home with me full time.
- I have 3 dogs. A Chug (Chihuahua/Pug) named Sunny, a Chihuahua named Midnight and a Pitweiler (Pitbull /Rottweiler) named Hope – who just happens to be my baby. The “toys” are the kid’s dogs. (Every parent says that, right?)
- My family built houses when I was a kid, starting when I was 7. We didn’t have someone build them – we literally built the houses from the ground up, and neither of my parents are licensed contractors. This is where I learned a lot of things that have come in really “handy” with what I do now. Including, but not limited to, the names of lots of tools and how to use them!
- My typical motto for most of my projects is: If at first you don’t succeed, try harder and come up with a different way to accomplish it!
- I don’t believe you have to be rich to make your home and yard beautiful – I’m living proof. It just takes more creativity and elbow grease….and a LOT more time to get everything the way you eventually want it. Be prepared to be patient!
- My personal design style is a very comfy, practical, Old World/Tuscan influence with a bit of Rustic Farmhouse/Country thrown in. Partly because it’s” livable” with 5 kids and partly because I have always been drawn to that “everything has a story” feel. I would far rather find an old piece of furniture with a story than to buy a brand new piece that has none.
- I’ve been taking pictures, mostly Still Life, since I was a kid. It’s something I’ve always loved to do and you will see some of these featured on my blogs. I still consider myself an amateur.
- And finally, yes I do most of my projects on my own or with “help” from my kids and dogs, while the MR is at work. I like to surprise him when he comes home and had no idea I was working on something and I like to keep his days off as family days rather than fill them with projects from my “To Do” list.
Thanks for joining me!