Wow! It’s been a while! Emily (Le Cultivateur) and I used to host this challenge every month but around about late February when the entire world as we know it shut down, we had to put it on hold for a while.
We are so excited to announce that it is back! If you aren’t familiar with this particular challenge, each month a group of bloggers take something purchased at a Thrift Store, Flea Market, Garage Sale or found by the side of the road (so basically used and cast aside :-), and we repurpose it, breathe new life into it, style it in our homes – any and all of the above. We take you along with us and show you just what we did along the way.
Are you ready? Are you excited?
I’ll share links to each of the bloggers joining us this month, at the bottom of this post. Be sure to check them all out for loads of wonderful thrifty inspiration!
For my project I found an oval mirror with a fairly cute frame on it. Well, the overall shape, size and pattern was cute. The finish on it was not. I pictured something very vintage looking in my mind though….it’s just a matter of whether or not I could re-create what was in my mind!
Even if it didn’t work out how I planned, the price made it an affordable trial.
I put a coat of Waverly Chalk Paint in the color Plaster (I got mine at Walmart) all over the entire frame. I allowed some bits of the dark frame to still be left in the cracks and crevices.
Here and there I added a light second coat just to get the overall coverage that I wanted. This is what it looked like when I was finished.
Next I grabbed some Rub ‘n’ Buff in Gold Leaf and applied it here and there on the raised parts of the design using a small stencil brush.
I wanted it to look more like it was peeping through, than as if it had been painted on the top so I made some of it heavier and some of it lighter.
Next I scraped the paint off of the mirror and cleaned it well using Windex.
Next I positioned a Show-Offs Silkscreen Stencil (I got this one at my local Hobby Lobby) where I wanted it on the glass and smoothed it all down well.
Using a small stencil brush I applied my acrylic craft paints to the stencil lightly.
And here is the finished product!
I’ve hung it in my main floor powder room and I couldn’t be happier with how it looks there.
Not too bad for $6.99
Now let’s check out what Emily, and the other bloggers who joined us this month, did for this challenge.
Simply click on any of the photos below to go straight to the corresponding blog post.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Until next time…
Feel free to pin this to save for later.